Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Easter Egg Bonnets DIY


Wait...egg hats? I should probably explain myself before I go any further. It all started about a month ago when I was having a major creative block. I really wanted to make something cute and small and pretty, but I had no idea what. Jewelry? Sure, but I make jewelry all the time. I like to think I'm not into tacky, kitschy things, but then I had this weird idea.


Easter's coming up, right? For some reason, eggs are a big deal during Easter. Honestly, I've never understood why. New life? Or something? In the words of Jim Gaffigan, "But what do Easter eggs have to do with Jesus?" I have no idea. Anyway, around here we hardboil them, dye them, and eventually eat them as part of tradition. 

As a variation on the egg decorating process, I had an idea for making tiny egg hats! I've seen gourd hats, and I think maybe egg hats before, but never egg Easter bonnets (although I'm sure they exist). So I got tacky and kitschy and made a few to stick on my white hardboileds. 

They're cute...right? Waste of perfectly good mercerized cotton? You decide. After crocheting three of them and drawing little faces on the eggs, I thought they were super adorable. If you're looking for a quick and easy project that's a little different from traditional egg coloring, I've included the pattern below!
(For a list of crochet abbreviations, check out Craft Yarn Council's list.)

You'll need:
Size 10 mercerized cotton thread (I use the Aunt Lydia's brand)
US size 1.5mm steel crochet hook
Hardboiled egg!
Sharpie for face drawing

To make the bonnet:
Ch 4, join with sl st in first ch to form round.
Rnd 1: Ch 3, work 11 dc in ring, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3 (12 dc)
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st as last sl st, 2 dc in each dc around, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3 (24 dc)
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, repeat from * around, ending 2 dc in last dc, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3 (36 dc)
Rnd 4: Ch 4, *skip next dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, repeat from * around, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch-4. (18 ch-1 sps)
Rnd 5: Sl st in first ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 3, sc in next ch-1 sp, repeat from * around, ending ch 3, join with sl st in first sc. (18 ch-3 sps)
Rnd 6: Sl st in ch-3 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, (dc, ch 1) 4 times in next ch-3 sp, dc in same sp, sc in next ch-3 sp, repeat from * around,

Here's a visual grid for Rounds 1-6 if you need more help:


Next, draw a little face on your egg and top it off with one of these adorable hats! I used my watercolors and a water pen to draw the cheeks, and a pencil/Sharpie for the eyes and mouth.


Make a whole crowd of Easter bonnet-wearing gals for a cute display. Happy crocheting!

Looking for more tutorials? Check out my blog's DIY page!

No comments:

Post a Comment