Thursday, October 30, 2014

Savory Cinnamon Beef: Recipe


This recipe. Oh my goodness. I copied it down from a Paleo cookbook my old roommate has, and had to add/change a few ingredients, and this is what I got. Pure amazingness. The perfect cold-weather dinner.


Unfortunately I didn't photograph as I went, but I'll try to be as descriptive as possible in my directions. :) Just know that it will be wonderful.

For about 4 servings, you will need:
1.5 lbs stewing beef, cut in bite-sized chunks
A little olive oil
Salt & pepper
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
A few shakes of cinnamon
A few shakes of dried basil
3 cups water

What to do:
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Sprinkle the beef with a little salt & pepper and brown in batches. This is very important for well-browned beef and good flavor - don't crowd the meat in the pan. I used tongs and placed half of the meat around the pot in the oil. Let it brown on one side, and then gently turn to brown on the bottom. Remove to a plate and brown the rest of the meat. 

Now add your vegetables (the carrots, onions and garlic) and stir for about 2 minutes so that the little bits on the bottom get mixed in. Next add your tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat the veggies. Increase the heat to medium-high and gradually stir in the beef broth. It will thicken as you stir :) Add the vinegar the same way, stirring constantly. Stir in the spices/herbs. Last, stir in the water and bring to a boil. After the stew has come to a boil, turn the heat down to low and set a lid on the pot at an angle so some steam can escape. Let the meat simmer for 1 1/2 hours minimum, 2 + hours maximum. I let mine sit for about 2.5 hours and it was absolutely perfect. 

Spoon into bowls and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment