Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things

Treasures gained over the weekend...




 Yes, I'm a fan of old novels from the 50s and 60s. As long as they're classy and entertaining. Alistair MacLean is a favorite of mine (fun fact: Where Eagles Dare, one of his best novels, was made into a film, starring a young Clint Eastwood). Mary Stewart is another favorite - she wrote one of my favorite books, The Moon-Spinners, which was also made into a film in the 60's, starring Hayley Mills. 

My brother and I stopped at an antique store  today. I went inside intending to search for old plates for my mom, and came out with my arms full of old doilies instead. Don't you love my makeshift bunting? It's a little random; I was originally going to have one of those beautiful doily lamps hanging from my ceiling, but that project is on hold for a while, so I hung a long strip of lace that came in a doily bag from the hooks. I think it characterizes my room nicely. 

The doilies are going to be saved for something special. I have quite a collection going now! Imagine the possibilities: table runners, curtains, dresses, etc. A doily is such a beautiful piece of history - someone worked hard to make it a long time ago, and it's still bringing beauty to someone else's home. I love how most of them are visibly old, with that faded, brown look. 

Oh, one more thing: I haven't forsaken my crochet entirely! No, in fact, I have a brand-new pattern coming out very soon! It might even be...tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment